With over 100 million daily active users, Snapchat provides the opportunity to reach a massive audience. Snapchat is also the most popular social media platform for teens ages 13-17 — a hard demographic to reach through more traditional marketing efforts.
But how can your business best engage with Snapchat users? Sure, you can buy Snapchat ad space, but that wonâ€™t allow your message to spread organically. To get the most out of Snapchat, you might want to check out Geofilters. A national Geofilter can typically be seen by 40 to 60% of the daily Snapchat audience — thatâ€™s 40,000 to 60,000 people. Local Geofilters have impressive scope, as well. Bell Media ran a Geofilter campaign for five hours at The Quad at the University of Alabama, and reached over 19,000 people.
A Geofilter is a location-based overlay you can find by swiping right on your Snapchat photo. Itâ€™s a particularly useful tool for promoting your business. If you create your own Geofilter, anyone on Snapchat in your chosen location can use that filter on their Snapchat images and videos — which means youâ€™ll attract a large audience without much effort at all.
To clarify what a Geofilter is, hereâ€™s a picture of a Starbucksâ€™ Geofilter, which I can only find from my current location (near a Starbucks in Boston):
A Geofilter can help you alert foot traffic of your businessâ€™s nearby proximity. It can also spread brand awareness to users both in and outside your chosen location, as users can send a Geofilter to anyone regardless of their location.
There are two types of Geofilters you can create — personal or business. For our purposes, weâ€™ll focus on creating a custom business Geofilter to supplement your marketing strategy. However, youâ€™ll follow similar steps if youâ€™re creating a Geofilter for personal use, like a wedding or birthday party — the only step youâ€™ll change will be the last one, where youâ€™ll select personal instead of business.
Disclaimer: You must abide by Snapchat Submission Guidelines when creating a custom Geofilter. Read these before submitting your filter.
How to Make a Snapchat Geofilter
- Go to Snapchatâ€™s Create a Filter or Lens product page
- Click â€œCreate Filterâ€�
- Upload your own image, or create a design
- Choose your dates
- Select your location
- Specify whether your filter is personal or business, and then check-out
How to Create a Snapchat Geofilter:
Creating a Snapchat Geofilter takes almost no time at all — the only challenging aspect is the design itself. Take a look at the 12 steps you need to follow to create a Geofilter for business or personal use.
1. First, go to Snapchatâ€™s Create a Filter or Lens product page and click â€œCreate Filterâ€�.
2. You have a few options for design. You can use a Snapchat pre-made template, create a custom filter using the Snapchat design tools, or â€œUploadâ€� your pre-designed filter from elsewhere. For our purposes, Iâ€™ll upload my design.
3. Canva provides pre-made Snapchat Geofilter templates for easy design, so I chose to use Canva. However, you could also use Photoshop, Illustrator, or virtually any other design tool, particularly if youâ€™ve got something specific in mind.
4. You can use Canva templates to create filters for conferences, national holidays, birthday parties, weddings, or any other event. I created one for â€œHubSpotâ€™s Sponsored Weekend Marketâ€� (yes, this is fake â€¦ ). I chose a template and simply filled out the text boxes.
5. When youâ€™re happy with your Canva design, click â€œDownloadâ€�.
6. You need to download your filter as a PNG.
7. Your PNG image size must be 1080 x 2340 — you can resize the downloaded image in Preview, Photoshop, or another tool.
8. Now, back on Snapchatâ€™s Create a Snapchat Filter page, click â€œUploadâ€� and import your PNG file. You can add color, text, or other elements from within the Snapchat page, or click â€œNextâ€�.
9. Choose the dates you want your Geofilter to appear, or select â€œRun indefinitelyâ€�. Then, click â€œNextâ€�.
10. Choose the area you want your Geofilter to appear — your location cannot be more than 50,000 square feet. Then, select â€œCheckoutâ€�.
11. Here, youâ€™ll specify if your filter is for business or personal use. If you select â€œBusinessâ€�, youâ€™ll need to include a filter name and a business name.
12. When youâ€™re satisfied with all your filter specifics, including dates, location, and design, input your payment information and click â€œSubmitâ€�.
Snapchat Geofilters are one of your cheapest social media paid marketing options, so itâ€™s worth giving it a try if it fits with your target audience. If youâ€™re still a little hesitant, take a look at our complete Snapchat Marketing guide for further inspiration.
Source: New feed